Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Shift Shop

Let's pretend that my last post wasn't months ago ok?  Great, thanks.

It is no secret for those that know me or see me on a regular basis that I have gained a little, ahem, weight in the past year.  Blame stress of a move, new job, poor eating habits, lack of access to my normal grocery store buys, I can come up with 100 reasons.  Um, marathon training weight gain-- real thing in my humble opinion.

So when my fellow coaches and Beachbodiers started to talk about this new program they had tried called Shift Shop, I was excited.  Everyone talked about not only the physical but the mental change that happened for them.  It was released to all in August and I immediately jumped on the bandwagon..... for a few days ;)  I'm having commitment issues this summer apparently.

Here are the basics:
-21 day program
-Two types of workouts: Strength and speed (mostly cardio based moves)
-6 days of workouts each week, one day of rest
-Progresses in time and difficulty each week from 25 minutes to 35 minutes to 45 minutes
-Meal plan is similar to 21 Day Fix except it changes from week to week as well with a decrease in carbs and an increase in protein and veggies

Here is my personal experience with it:
Week 1: nailed it.  I would give myself about 90% commitment, minus a skipped workout and a few adult beverages at golf.  And then......

I took a week hiatus.  I was signed up for a 5k and I didn't want to stress my body out and be sore for the race, given all my issues with my foot and hip and running over the past 4 months.  However, once we got back from the race, I was back on it.

Week 2: not too shabby and about 80% commitment.  Again, an adult beverage at golf and I didn't cut out as many carbs as I was supposed to.

Week 3: total shit show.  I got sick and only got one workout in.  I tried to maintain committed to the meal plan but then we went to the cabin for our last time (my in laws sell it in a week) and I ate, drank, and was merry for a few days.

Despite ALL of this and not total commitment to the program, I lost 3 pounds and broke through a plateau that I've been at since September.  BOOM.

Imagine what you could do if you stuck to the program for 21 days?  ;)

What did I LOVE about the program-the variety of workouts... the workouts themselves.  They were challenging but there is a modifier for every move so I never felt like I couldn't participate.  I also LOVE Chris Downing as a trainer.  Every time I would want to quit, somehow he knew and would always have something positive to say.  If you listen to him as you do the workout, you really will get a mental shift because he is always encouraging you to push through your mental blocks.

What I struggled with the most- the meal plan when I did not prep.  Shift Shop literally tells you exactly what to eat and when, but also gives you the usual Fix Container substitutions (other than a few changes to the yellow container or carbs).  I had to use a few as I'm not a big fan of some of the meal options but for the most part it worked for me.  And if I followed the plan and ate when and what I was supposed to, it was fine.  But if I wouldn't have access to what was on the plan, I would try to skip that snack or meal and I was MISERABLE...my blood sugar would drop and I would either hit a wall with my energy or want to hit a wall because I was irritable.

Would I do the program again?  Absolutely.  Right now I need a bit of a break from the workouts.  I'm actually not feeling ready to commit to a new program yet so I'm going to use my Beachbody on Demand All Access to play around with workouts from each of the programs, as well as slowly start to ease back into running on a regular basis (fingers crossed...we will see what my foot thinks about that!).

If you're interested in trying the All Access (and Shift Shop) you can do a trial by signing up here:
https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/club?referringRepId=917703


No comments:

Post a Comment