Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Making time for your relationship

So I don't know if it is the month of February and all the damn Valentine's Day crap that is everywhere (yes, Costco, I DO want my husband to spend $150 to deliver me a tropical bouquet from you... HECK NO. I want a new pair of running shoes for that price!)... or the 2 x 4 I got hit with yesterday when the assignment for my Superstar Bootcamp was to watch this video, but I feel the need to talk about relationships tonight.


It's a little over half an hour but if you are in a relationship, I promise you it is worth it. 

I have been feeling pulled in so many different directions lately.  Work has been overwhelming, Lucas was sick and then going through a growth spurt, my mom breaking her hip, trying to start a business, getting sick myself.... and the easiest thing to do has been to neglect my husband. 

Let's be honest, he is gone for half the month.  So for half the month, I am not even purposely neglecting him.  He is not around that much.  Lucas and I do our thing, I put him to bed, and then I do my Tasmanian devil thing of running around the house, trying to shower, and trying to do some business things.  So when he is here, it's an adjustment for me to stop and remember to let him be a part of our life again.

We have been together for 15 years this March and will celebrate our 5 year anniversary this year and I think (ok, I KNOW) when you are with someone that long, it's easy to just let them become part of the blur of life.  But it doesn't make that person feel very special I'm sure.  So I am going to actively focus on making my husband and our relationship stand out from that blur.

Tonight's assignment for my Bootcamp focused on scheduling your time out which is something I did when I read 168 Hours (See Books tab above for a review) but I haven't gone back since Lucas changed his sleeping schedule from long ago (I will his current 8:45-6:15 with 1 one wake up to his 6-6 with wake ups every hour!) and with my Beachbody stuff.  So that is my goal for tomorrow.  And part of that is going to be not only to check my marriage (which is something we have started forgetting to do) but also to set aside some time for my marriage.  Even if it's just a 5 minute time where I just sit and let Mike talk and make eye contact (I'm really good at multitasking listening and being on my phone), I need to put some time in there for my husband.

Time to adjust the balance of my life and remember that the #1 F is family!

No comments:

Post a Comment