Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Bittersweet

Thanks to everyone for the messages and prayers. My sweet grandpa passed away on Monday and the funeral is on Friday. Nothing like getting that text message while you are having a great day at the zoo with your family... Life doesn't always work the way we want it to. So this vacation has been bittersweet with some moments of sadness and tears but I am focusing on having a good time because that's what my Grandpa would have wanted and done- I can't remember a time until my final goodbye that I didn't see him in a good mood and loving life.

This trip has been a workout, that's for sure. Take a one year old to places he loves and just let him go and you can pretty much skip the workouts... Except I haven't. I did half ass a couple but I feel justified. Sunday night I didn't get to hit the treadmill until 9 for my 5k after a day of trying to pack and do laundry so I didn't set any speed goals that's for sure. There was also the two Dairy Queen trips I made to get a brownie batter blizzard to celebrate National Ice Cream Day because the first one was out of brownies. 

It actually wasn't that great...


Lucas didn't want anything to do with his either... Who is this child? 

Monday I did 10 minute trainer yoga because it's al I could get to load on my Beachbody On Demand at the hotel.... Our hotel kind of sucks, Internet included. But it was cheap and since we really shouldn't be on vacation and saving for our new fence, I am keeping the complaints to a minimum. But this will be the last vacations we take and go cheap because next summer we will be debt free!

I decided to switch around my cross train and 4 mile run days and hit the elliptical last night in the hotel gym.


I used to HATE the elliptical but I actually didn't mind it last night... Watching the Bachelorette Men Tell All made time go faster.

This morning we went to a local park so I could run. Mike took Lucas for a stroll and I hit the trail.


Wish my every day running scenery was like this!


Plus I got to run across state lines a couple times!


I got cocky and did the stairs a couple times.


Which resulted in me getting made fun of by an old man as I ran through the sprinklers to cool off.


I made sure to stay away from these little forest friends....

I also had a pretty horrific experience in the porta potty when there was no toilet paper but I will spare you those details.

Our eats on this trip have been pretty sub-par although good stories. Our hotel has a decent breakfast and lunches have been various fast food. Monday we are at the most ghetto Godfathers...

But Tuesday night I definitely found a more ghetto BBQ joint... And I dragged my poor dear friend Liz there with me.


It's been 7 (?!?) years since we lived together and as soon as she got out of the car we were laughing... Mike swears it wasn't a bullet hole in the window but I'm still not convinced... Oh well, couldn't beat the company! This girl was there for me during one of the most stressful times of my life (GRE and figuring out grad school were not good times) and I love that she was willing to drive to come meet Lucas and hang out with Mike and I.

Tonight we ate at the Voodoo Taco at the  Nebraska Crossing Outlet. Food was decent but Lucas was in full toddler mode so it was short. Thankfully there was only a couple people there. 

Next time we come, we need to plan better. I had hauled a bunch of food down to make lunches at the hotel but with the timing of everything, we didn't make it back to the hotel ever. So back home it all comes.

Oh well, the places we visited were amazing and Lucas had a great time. We spent two days enjoying the zoo. 


And today we went to the Children's Museum. 


You should know that he FREAKED about a minute in. It was funny in a terrible kind of way because it went from fun and exciting to worst thing ever. Thankfully he was the only kid on so the attendant stopped it pretty quickly. 

Plan is to wake up tomorrow, eat and work out, shower and pack up and head home.... I have my grandpa's visitation in the evening so I want to have a little time to change and get ready for that.

Hope everyone is having a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment