Thursday, August 20, 2015

Book review: mindless eating

What a great topic for me and I'm sure some of you as well, right? 



This book was an easy read with lots of great real life examples and solutions.... Plus he explains the psychology behind what we do which just fascinated me?

The biggest YES moment I had is when he talked about how we make over 200 decisions regarding food a day. So we start off good and being able to make healthy choices and say no to the bad things but as the day goes on, our resolve breaks down because we've said no so many times and we end up eating the chocolate cake in the lounge. I can apply this same example to spending money. I do good and say no for a long time and then I just cave and blow a lot of it! 

The first chapter talks about the mindless margin, those extra 200-300 calories we eat without even realizing it. Hello coffee creamer! Just by cutting those out, most of us could lose 5+ pounds a year. Wow! Recommendation: think 20% less of a serving on all portions except fruits and veggies- think 20% more on those!

The he talks about the forgotten food.... Where once we eat it, we don't even see it anymore because our stomach can't count. It doesn't know if you had 5 wings or 10 and if the waitress cleared your table in between, forget it. So put everything on your plate before you eat it and see it while you eat it- don't clear your tray until you are done! 

The next chapter is why I need to stop shopping at Costco- because when we see more in a container, we eat more. So use smaller boxes, bowls and plates. And beware the danger of leftovers- we tend to think that we need to eat until everything is gone! 

The next chapter really was about warehouse stores like Costco lol and how we are more likely to eat convenient food. So put serving dishes in another room when you eat supper, move the candy jar across your office, put tempting foods in hard to reach places (high shelf!), and snack only at the table and on a clean plate- put the bag down! And while you're at it, rewrite your eating scripts such as I eat when I watch TV at night or read.... Guilty. 

The next one is a fun trick for the kids- juts by putting a fancy name on something, people are more likely to eat it. If you serve people chocolate in the dark but tell them it's strawberry flavored, people taste strawberry. We are truly rats in a cage :) so add a fancy name for people and fix the atmosphere when you fix the food- fancy plates and a little extra time in kitchen and people will think you're a gourmet chef! 

Comfort food was a topic.... Hello Casey's pizza and anything my mom makes. Rules: don't deprive yourself, just limit your portion size and rewire your comfort foods- have chocolate covered fruit as a treat for your family instead of tator tot hot dish :) 

If you are the nutritional gatekeeper at your house, meaning you buy the groceries, be a good marketer. Offer variety. Use the half plate rule- let half the plate be a little naughtier and the other half is veggies or a salad. And make serving sizes official- one bag is not a serving! Baggie that stuff! 

Fast food was obviously a big topic. Beware of the Halo effect- just because you had a healthy sub does not justify chips, cookies and a regular drink. Think small or share!

And if you're going to mindlessly eat, mindlessly eat better :). Make 100-200 calorie changes in your daily food (goodbye creamer!), focus on food trade offs (I can have fries if I throw half of them away) and food policies (I only eat dessert on days I have a long run), pick 3 easy changes and make a checklist that your track them for 30 days so they become habit.

Great read- highly recommend it if you are interested in these things like I am.

5 mile run today in 49 minutes! I think knowing I only have 9 runs left until the big day helped.

Plus my cheerleading squad:


Hello deer! The sunset was beautiful too:


I was so tired, I collapsed in the grass when I got home.


Giving a training tomorrow and then thank God it's the weekend- these teeth of Lucas' are killing us both slowly. Sleeping poorly and he is cranky! Hope we survive :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment