Saturday, May 30, 2015

Single Saturday & Total Money Makeover

So I am single parenting it today.... While I am normally a single parent for half the month, today felt different because 1) Mike is off and was supposed to be home and 2) he is gone for over 24 hours at a bachelor party. After Lucas being a MaJOR crabby bear last weekend, I was nervous! BUT he was amazing and we had a blast today!  I did have quite a few unhealthy indulgences (donut, McDonalds cheeseburger, fries, and hot fudge sundae) so even though I just wanted to crash when Lucas did and we had taken TWO walks today, I made myself do Pilates Fix (doesn't feel like a real workout but know it's good for my running) and 30 minutes on the bike. After an indulgent girls' night last night (love my MCC girls and will miss them like crazy next year), I keep telling myself that June 1 will be different. It marks official half marathon training as well and I know nutrition will be key to that!

In addition to a food makeover, I finished reading Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. And man did I need it after the past few months. We have not been sticking to our budget and I could feel it when I applied extra to my student loan this month. In the book, Dave talks about being gazelle intense and that they are always on the lookout for cheetahs and we need to be too. And we got hit by a BIG cheetah this month!

Last summer Mike and his dad ripped the rock out of our stone pathway in the fenced in area of our yard and we also removed a tree back there. And it looked terrible right now! It's not very safe to walk on and it just needs to be fixed. I also ripped out mulch from one of our landscaped areas on the side of our house TWO years ago and we haven't fixed that yet. So I had a landscaper come to give us a quote.... Ouch! The quote was THREE times what we had budgeted for it. CHEETAH!!!! Dave would say not to do it because is not a necessity but if we are selling our house anytime soon, it needs to be done.  So we are doing bare minimum to make the walkway functional and WE are doing he rock ourselves. We knew we could but it just seemed easier to have someone else do it... Until we saw the price.

This was a different Dave book and I wouldn't read it if you are new to Dave. But if you need motivation, this is your book! 

And BONUS: I got to cross a book off my list for my New Year goal! 
 

So any time that I go to spend extra money from this point on, someone yell CHEETAH at me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment